Green beans are here! Perhaps other beans, too, so substitute any of the three beans with what you can get on sale or from your garden...or the neighbors'. Canned garbanzos, pintos or black beans are fine, too, in this beautiful and delicious salad that works as a side dish or protein-filled vegetarian entree.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, cooked and rinsed in cold water
- 1 1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
Rinse quinoa under cold running water and drain. Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Stir quinoa and a pinch of salt into water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and let cool. Put cooled quinoa, green beans, edamame, peppers, kidney beans, dressing, tarragon, salt and pepper into a large bowl and toss well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Per Serving: 270 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 4g sugar), 17g protein