A light and refreshing salad served over a bed of rice noodles, this dish can easily transform into a vegetarian side by leaving out the shrimp. It's best eaten the day you make it.
- 8 ounces uncooked brown rice noodles
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red chile pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked, peeled and deveined medium shrimp with tails removed
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
Cook noodles according to package directions. Rinse until cool, then drain and place in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, combine lime juice, vinegar and crushed red pepper to make a dressing. Toss noodles with 2 tablespoons of dressing. Toss remaining dressing with shrimp, carrots, peanuts, shallots and mint. Serve shrimp mixture over rice noodles.
Per Serving: 290 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (8g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 24g protein